Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Bradford on Avon

Today was the most amazing day so far I think. We spent the day visiting stonehenge, Bath and Stourhead! You would think that is to much to do in one day but it was perfect and was a great adventure! Kaitlin, Rebecca and I were bus buddies and spent the whole day wondering around together and taking to many pictures!
On our way to Stonehenge I saw a street named Brandford on Avon. Avon is the name of a river and we went over it like 14 different times in differnt places it was crazy! We began our day by stopping at Stonehenge. It was really anticlamatic (sp) but it was still cool to see. I did learn that about a third of all the statues have sunken underground and alot of the pillars were removed long ago, so it used to be a heck of a lot bigger. My favorite part about the whole thing was when our coach driver told us about the local barial monds and the Meagan looked and me and said very seriously, 'Where are all the Dead poeple?' It was the best thing I have enver been asked because I am looking at the huge monument and all she can think about are the dead people! Anyway I also learned that the stone that was used for stonehenge came from 240 miles away and they all way between 5 and 40 tons. Not only that but it was built over 5000 years ago, how it the world did they do that??? and who is they anyway?
After that we headed to the Baths of Bath! Along the way I say Jane Austens home in bath! It was really cool! While at bath we got to see Bath Abbey but we couldnt go inside because they were hosting a graduation. The baths were really cool but they were so gross that you couldnt even touch the water. Disgusting!!! But is was really interesting and I learned alot about the romans. Did you know that they had special tweesers made to pluck the hair out of your arm pits! OUCH!!!! Anyway after our audio tour we went around to the local shops and looked at stuff and all I could think was 'why is stuff so expensive here!'
We then headed to Stourhead. Stourhead is this really natural looking graden but was actually all planned and planted by Henry something. It was so cool! We got to walk across the bridge that is in Pride and Prejudice, the one that Elizabeth runs across in the rain! And then there was the Temple of Apollo. Its a gazebo and its the one that Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy fight on! It was so cool. The picture at the top is from there and I stood on one of the things and posed as a statue. Rebecca and I were having a great time posing for people as they walked up the hill! It was the most beautiful place that I have ever seen in my life but the bugs were really bad. There was also this really cool grotto thing that had statues of greek gods in them and waterfalls!
Overall the day was great and full of adventure! Did I mention that I have only been here for a week and I have already lost 6 pounds from walking so much!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment