Thursday, June 25, 2009

Pondering on three days of Amazingness!!!!

After taking Professor Davis' Political Science class last semester I swore that I would never have a blog because he made me read tons of articles about how blogs should only be used to become politically informed. But here I am sitting on the floor of my room in an old Victorian town home dieing to share some of the things that I have seen and learned about here in London.
I arrived in London on June 23 and soon learned that jet lag is one of the worst things that I have ever experienced. I thought after being in college for a year that I would be pretty good at staying awake for more the 24 hours but I have never had such a hard time staying awake in my life!! It was so bad that but that night when we went to take a walk in the park I couldnt even get my shoes on the right feet, it took me three tries!!! I have wonderful roommates and Ilarene is my wonderful bunk mate. I have to say that the whole thing reminds me of girls camp and the beds are the same too.
The first night myself, Katlin, Rebecca and a few others ventured forth into the unknown and began exploring Hyde park. It was truly amazing! My first surprise came when i noticed that so many people were out and about running, walking, riding bikes and everything! Something so simple but can I please say that I have not seen a single obease person yet and I have been here for 3 days! Everyone here is so active and I love it... why are people in the US so inactive, dont they realize the simple joys that one can have from just taking a walking in the afternoon sun?
Anyway, during out verturing we ran across the Prince Albert memorial and it was so amazing. The marble statues, paintings and a giant gold statue of Prince Albert, even the fence was cool! It was an excellent way to start my grand adventure in London! On the way home from the park we got yelled at by a group of middle eastern boys and that was interesting.
On the 24 we decided to go a kabab place and try out some middle easter food. I promise there is no connection between the boys at the park and our choice of food the next day. I was so amazing and I have officially decided that I like lamb. After we took our first trip in THE TUBE! Thats the underground subway system. I was so proud that we made it all the way to the British Museum without getting lost and we didnt even have to ask for directions! That may be a stupid thing to be proud of but when you are half way around the world you have to be pretty proud of not getting lost. The British Museum is the largest museum that I have ever seen, we were there for 3 hours and I didnt even complete the top floor. I am definatly going to have to go back. I decided that I could live there for a year and I still wouldnt be able to see everything that I wanted to. I think my favorite thing I saw was this jewelry set that was made out of coral, it was so pretty, pink and white and so prefect. Haha, I fell in love with it instantly. We spent the evening playing Never Have I Ever and can I just say that after like the 2nd round I couldnt come up with anything to say but it is such a fun way to learn about people!
Today Rebecca, Katilin, Ilarene, Adisen, Gerrett, BJ and I all went to Saint Pauls Cathedral. I learned that it was built in 35 years, and I saw the tomb of John Donne, and a million more famous people. We had to walk up 376 stairs to get to the top and when we came down I was so scared that I was going to fall and poor Rebecca had to wait for me at the bottom for forever! We also decided that one sunday we are going to go sit in on a mass because they have Evensong and its a little boys choir and its supposed to be amazing. Tomorrow we are embarking on another grand adventure to The Tower of London and I can not wait! I feel like I am lost in a fairytale, so much to do and so much to see!

1 comment:

  1. First of all, I am the first person to comment on your blog! Yay me!!! Secondly, we are SO going back to the British Museum at some point!!!!

    ReplyDelete